Perfetti Van Melle, the home of Airheads and Mentos candies, gummies and mints in the United States, continues its annual tradition of a day of service by its more than 550 employees. This year, not knowing what challenges COVID-19 would bring next, the company got creative in finding a more flexible approach to its Community Day. He created several volunteer days in small groups in August/September, helping several local organizations.
This week’s Community Day events allowed manufacturing and operations employees of Perfetti Van Melle Erlanger to take time off their shifts to make Airheads and bottle Mentos gum, to wrap and prepare packets of disposable diapers to be distributed to local low-income families by Sweet Cheeks Diaper Bank. The August 17 Day of Service is just one of many community events organized by confectionery employees this year.
“While the pandemic has made it difficult to confidently plan big events for everyone, our business has also grown significantly, creating new jobs, even during the pandemic,” said Sylvia Buxton, President and CEO of Perfetti. Van Melle North America Buxton. “It pushed us to find a new way to involve an even wider group of employees in serving our community. By trying a “season of service” approach this year, each part of our company had the opportunity to decide on a community project that suited their team size, their shifts – even in the middle of night shifts. – AND corresponded to the objective of our company to help the children and families of our region.
“We have been blown away by the support from Perfetti employees this month.” said Megan Fischer, CEO and Founder of Sweet Cheeks Diaper Bank. “Early COVID restrictions showed us how essential our volunteers are, and Perfetti employees allowed us to work ahead so that we have more stability for our partner agencies and the families we serve. We are so grateful to Perfetti for not only believing in our mission to end the need for diapers, but for working with us to create creative solutions to on-site volunteering at their facility.
In August and September, Perfetti invests time and money in its employees and local charities to have a real impact on the community.
Facts and figures of the Perfetti Van Melle Community Day 2022:
• Over 550 Perfetti Van Melle volunteers, contributing over 2,400 hours over 13 project days in August and September.
• Donations of ~$70,000 invested by Perfetti in these 3 charities to activate the events.
• Projects with local organizations: Sweet Cheeks Diaper Bank, Ronald McDonald House of Greater Cincinnati and Matthew 25: Ministries.
• Sweet Cheeks: Among the 5 teams of Perfetti employees carrying out a Sweet Cheeks project for Community Day in August and September, the organization estimates that over 500,000 diapers will be packed and processed. Last week alone, teams packed and processed over 84,000 diapers and created 1,120 menstrual kits. This week’s Perfetti volunteers processed an additional 200,000 diapers as well as thousands of menstrual kits.
• These events were organized by the Perfetti Van Melle teams: supply chain/distribution centre, operations/factory, marketing, management, finance, sales.
Pre-pandemic community day:
• Past Community Day Projects Perfetti Van Melle shut down production and activities in one day so all employees could complete projects such as the construction of two accessible playgrounds (NKY/Cincinnati), the takeover of The Giving Fields and Beautification of Schools/Downtown Neighborhoods with Keep Cincinnati Magnificent/CPS.
• In 2020 and 2021, due to COVID, instead of hands-on community day projects, the company made significant financial donations to support United Way’s Internet Digital Equity project for students learning remotely and its first College project Success Kits for the first generation NKY aimed at college students.
Perfect Van Melle